Sometimes your mattress needs some attention. You spend a third of your life in bed after all! Along with refreshing your bed, this easy cleaning DIY ensures a better nights sleep. The addition of essential oils gently scents your mattress.
What you need
- Baking Soda
- Essential oil (lavender is most popular)
- Vacuum cleaner
- Mason jar (Not necessary, but if you did not want to use the entire box of baking soda, use this tip)
- Before beginning, flip or rotate your mattress. You should do this about every 6 months to achieve even wear of your mattress. While working on your mattress, refresh your linens by throwing your sheets and comforters in the washer and dryer.
- Open the box and add 10 to 20 drops of your essential oil. Lavender is most popular but chamomile, sandalwood, and others are calming as well. Close the lid and shake the box. *If you did not want to use the whole box, pour into a mason jar with drops of essential oil. Cover the mason jar with the metal lid and give a god shake. Then replace the metal with construction paper with holes to make a shaker top.
- Sprinkle over the mattress. Rub the mixture in to bed.
- Let sit for 1 to 2 hours. *Hint: This is a great time to wipe down the walls, furniture, clean under the bed - all to ensure your sleep environment is nice and clean!
- Vacuum up all the baking soda mixture from your mattress. Then add your freshly washed linens. Now you are ready for a nap!